A Journey to Find Me

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Second Chances

This is the first of two posts today....

There is really nothing more precious than a second chance. Who knows that better than someone who has been given a second chance? I speak from experience...having been given volumes upon volumes of second chances (and having granted a few myself).

Though I've been on both ends of the second chance wheel, I wonder if they really work? That's a bit cynical, I know...especially since I often find myself on the needing end of just one more chance to make things right or one more chance to be a good person. But that feeds into my question...how many second chances can one person get or grant before it gets old.

My Pastor is fond of quoting the following comment: David (from the bible) committed a multitude of sins...but never the same sin. To basically say that yes people make mistakes but you should learn from them and go forth and forge new territory.

A person can't necessarily be faulted for making mistakes while doing new things but when you keep stepping in the same puddle on the same street on the same day of the week, while walking the same mangy dog then you have to recognize the pattern and correct that. That is more for me than for anyone else...but take it for what it is.

I think that we, more specifically I, have to move on from the things of my past and make some new mistakes. That sounds so funny, but it is so real. But in order to do that we have to be real with ourselves....that brings me to another topic. Why do we lie to ourselves? Is it because the truth would cause us to change and we hate change so much? Is it to protect others? Or is it because we just refuse to see and acknowledge the truth? It's okay to be real. It's okay to know you and to be comfortable with yourself. We all say that we are real, but we are a bunch of the fakest things I know. We lie or omit things for peace sake...who's peace? If things are so innocent and so above ground then why is there a need to lie. If it looks wrong then it is probably wrong...don't you have that much common sense.

Ok...my rant is over...back to second chances. We all need them at some point and time and they are a necessary part of life....but when given a second chance...do all you can to make it work. Don't take it for granted or act as if it was promised to you or as if you deserved it.

I'm goin on a journey...don't u wanna go with me...let's go find our real selves...

Til later...
Journeyer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home