A Journey to Find Me

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Faking It....

There are many women out there who have given this simple term an entirely different meaning...but that's not what I want to write about today. I want to talk about faking it as it pertains to the relationships in your life...wherever you have formed them.

We fake so many things. We don't like people but we front and fake and pretend that we do like them. If someone makes a decision that we don't necessarily agree with, we fake like we're okay with that until we're out of earshot and then we let our true feelings show.

I wrote yesterday about our incessant need to be accepted and a part of that is no doubt faking for others.

I'm so bloody tired of faking like I'm okay when I'm visibly flawed. I'm tired of being the bigger person and pretending that things don't bother me when they are tearing me up...but in order to keep the peace and not rehash old stuff I bury them. Is that a sign of maturity or just another facet to my fake character?

I always say how I hate fake people....two faced people...backstabbers. But could it be that what I hate about them are the very things that I see in myself.

It's like we are afraid to be ourselves. We're afraid to say that something offends us or bothers us or ticks us the hell off...because we want to be pleasing to all people. We don't want to turn anyone off or have anyone think ill of us. While that thinking has its place, we are sacrificing the core of who we are to please or pacify others.

People as a whole tend to be situational and not really holistic. We say what we think others want to hear in a situation instead of what they need to hear to be a better person holistically. I'm giving anyone who reads this permission to hurt my feelings. Don't pity me because of a situation, but hold my black tail accountable for my mistakes. Don't speak to me in a cutesy tone...tell me what will make me a better person...and in the end I'll love you for it. I may not have a word to say to you, but I will love you for it and I'll be a better person and friend for it.

My disclaimer: I'm not giving anyone a license to be an asshole...all things within reason - but be honest for goodness sakes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home