A Journey to Find Me

Monday, April 24, 2006

I don't wanna run.....

Have you ever known that you had to run - or at least jog and it was the absolute last thing you wanted to do? ***Holla if ya hear me Jenny**

I find myself in that situation today, right now as a matter of fact. I started a journey of running, I started it off all nice and neat and organized, increasing a minute each week on the time that I would run...seeing how I started at 1 minute I'm not very far along now. But somewhere along the road of exhaustion, laziness, shin splints and the elliptical machine I got complacent on that method of increasing. Somewhere around run 3 minutes/walk 3 minutes I got tired and just stopped. And as a result I've just become comfortable. That's not saying that I can run three minutes with no effort, it is saying that I'm content to stay there for a while. Well let's rewind to my workout on Friday, I don't know what kind of demon hit me, but I ran in intervals of 5 minutes. It was rewarding, though close to the last part of the last interval run I could have sworn that I was seeing my grandfather.... and that would have been a wonderful thing except that he's been dead since the mid 1980's!

When I'm not running I'm usually doing aerobics or the elliptical or some other form of cardiovascular exercise. I never neglect the cardiovascular portion of my routine - in fact it is what I concentrate on. And granted, I could get in all the cardio I need and then some on several other machines and I could avoid running all together.

But running is something that I want to do. "Why" you ask? Maybe because I'm crazy and a glutton for punishment. But mainly because I realize that it burns considerably more calories than a stroll and I think I'd look soo cute doing it (am I vain or what?). More than that, I promised myself that I would run a 5k. Not run/walk a 5k, but run a 5K. I don't think I realized what I was promising myself. Someone who's never been a runner (even as a kid playing kick ball I'd walk the bases....lol) but me trying to run a race. Mind you, I don't give a darn about actually winning or hitting a qualifying time, I just want to run that 3.1 miles and have a picture of me crossing the finish line. Since I made that promise, it is a must that I carry on. It is a must that I push myself and run. Hopefully, I'll hit that goal by the end of this calendar year. What a great blog that'll be.

If I don't die tonight, I'll make sure to mention how I fare tonight.

Pray for me, please!

1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Mercy's Maid said...

I absolutely know where you're coming from. My relationship with running is definitely love/hate. The biggest obstacle for me is maintaining a routine of going every day. If I don't, I find myself wanting to just sit on the couch for the rest of my life. We're kicking it up to run 8 minutes/ walk 2 minutes tonight. Amazingly, I think we're ready. Hang in there and keep pushing yourself. It took me forever to get to this point and I've still got a long way to go. And go to the Sporty Runner and get good shoes...it'll help the shin splints.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home